Site Meter

Diwali, away from home

by Kiran on November 8, 2010 · 14 comments

in Celebration, Family & Friends

Looking back at the archives, my Diwali posts has been very lame :D My bad. Not enough photos and description. But hey, I was busy with  my MBA as well. And I used to take plenty time to be expressive on my blog – very time consuming. Not to forget the constant “writer’s block”.

So, how did we celebrated Diwali this year? Not too bad :) Though I wished I’d taken more photos of the food. Isn’t easy when you are the host entertaining your guest. Priorities are priorities :)

Hallway main entrance decorated with Rangoli and festive ribbons

Steps leading to Diwali involves thorough cleaning of the house. Not just any cleaning, but an overhaul. Every nook and cranny is scrubbed. It’s not easy when we are alone here. The idea of having friends over to celebrate just made things so much more easier and fun :)

Colorful rangoli :)

Rangoli symbolizes joy and happiness. So colorful and vibrant.

Appetizers

My friends have never experienced Indian food before. So it is only fair to also serve them with some familiarity. We tossed the celebration with a champagne, and snacked on some appetizers which consists of celery, carrots and cucumber cuts served with cool sour cream. On the side, some Indian savory (chips) which was a hit!

Great friend, Tisse and neighbors Rebbeca & Andrea :)

The gang, munching and talking away!

I can hardly believe baby Daniel has grown so much. He is already 4 months old now. It feels like it was just yesterday when he was born. Time flies.

Rebecca & Joe, perfect couple :)

Best friends, love them :)

Times like this, in a great company of wonderful friends, makes it easier not missing our families too much :) This is one of the reasons I started blogging. To share our experiences making it in the foreign land. A far from our loved ones – people that we’d grew up and shared our life with. But in the States, the experiences thus far has been amazing. We made great friends that evidently is our family. A family away from home.

Me in saree, explaining the main course to everyone!

Now, onto food. No individual photos of the food. Le sigh… Anyways, if you can see from the right – my famous Chickpeas in Coconut curry, Vegetable masala in tomato gravy, Potatoes and Spinach, Chili Paneer, Pulou, Naans & Salads :)

Oopps… Desserts were also not pictured. We had RasMalai and mix fruit salad. And guess what? Every one loved the food so much that takeaways were practically demanded. Who we are to refuse ;)

Baby Daniel with his Papa :)

Rebecca and me :)

Giggling fact: It took me close to an hour to drape a Sari for that evening. I am getting better at this. The last attempt before this was around 2 hours. I am getting a hang of it.

The ladies...

Not too bad huh? OK, if you still insist to read my past lame posts on Diwali, go knock yourself out :D Hope you had a great Diwali – we surely did.

1 dinu November 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM

looks like u had a nice time !! cool :D
dinu recently posted..Drag and Drop Images To Share on Twitter- Facebook Or Any Website

2 Kiran November 17, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Dinu,
Yes, I did :) This time it was without the usual crowd, if you know what I mean ;)

3 Vijay Ganesh November 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Lovely post…. Nice pics. Good to know your company !
Vijay Ganesh recently posted..Trip to Ahmedabad

4 Kiran November 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Vijay,
Thanks for dropping in and commenting :) Do visit us again.

5 India Information November 11, 2010 at 5:28 AM

thanx 4 these type of sharring………….
India Information recently posted..India wrote a new blog post- Gtu search results Gujarat Technological University

6 Kiran November 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM

IndiaInfo,
Thanks for dropping in and commenting. Do visit us again :)

7 Reema November 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Glad to see u had a great diwali…Gorgeous sari and gorgeous u! :)

8 Kiran November 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Reema,
Thanks dear, indeed it was loads of fun. Even though we are far away from family, we try our level best to enjoy festivities with them in mind :) I know you had fun and great times in Goa for Diwali. Can’t wait to read about your adventures :)

9 Dunlop November 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Nice pics. cool

10 hcg weight loss arlington va August 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Maybe attempt to add in a couple motivation to lose weight guidelines weekly.
Not only will you need enough coin in your hand to buy these cards (the most expensive
of which cost 6 coins), but you need to have a potion card in hand as well.
If you are afraid of the negative side effects, you can actually proceed through
holistic therapy which promotes weight reduction.
hcg weight loss arlington va recently posted..hcg weight loss arlington va

11 boca raton Free Retirement planning Calculator software August 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM

So you get someone in Connecticut to hear your garnishment release
case who can better understand your situation. Users can contact support service via e mail, live chat,
toll free phone number or any other user friendly method.
CPA is of great way to make the strategies related to business and financial strategies
in such an effective way that can help to chart
the business and individual paths.
boca raton Free Retirement planning Calculator software recently posted..boca raton Free Retirement planning Calculator software

12 laser hair restoration hardware September 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The hair follicles are not receiving the right balance of
nutrients they need to grow. Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company
shares, brand shares and distribution data. Your hair protected the top of the head from the elements.
laser hair restoration hardware recently posted..laser hair restoration hardware