- 1/2 lbs of shrimps, shelled & deveined
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 dried red chilies, halved & seeded
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- puree of 1 large shallot + 1 large garlic
- 1 tbsp lemongrass puree
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 2 heaping cups of summer squash (lauki), chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp tamarind water/lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a bowl, marinate shrimps with 2 tsp of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat. Add coconut oil and wait until it heats before adding dried red chilies, mustard seeds, curry leaves and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Fry for a few seconds or until mustard seeds sputters.
- Add pureed shallot + garlic with lemongrass. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until paste is lightly colored, fragrant, thickens and oil separates on the sides.
- Throw in quartered tomatoes and chopped summer squash. Stir to combine everything and cook for another 5 more minutes before adding light coconut milk, water and salt. Bring curry to a gentle simmer, lower the heat to medium-low, put on a lid and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until squash is cooked through or until oil separates on the sides.
- Remove cover and throw in marinated shrimps. Cook for 2 more minutes, taste and adjust seasonings in curry (i.e tamarind/lemon juice + sugar).
- Remove curry from heat. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm over freshly steamed rice and servings of papadums.
Do you have a love or hate relationship with seafood?