Yields about 3/4 of cup
- 1.5 lbs of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tsp oil (flavorless)
- 1 tsp panch phoran (indian five spice)*
- 2 dried red chilies, slitted
- 1/3 cup of raw sugar
- 3 tbsp jaggery (gud)
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- Heat a saucepan on medium. Add cooking oil and wait for it to heat before adding panch phoran and dried chilies. Allow to sizzle for a few seconds and make sure the spices don’t burn. Burnt spices are horrid!
- Throw in fresh sliced strawberries and cook for 5 minutes until strawberries begin to break down. Add raw sugar, jaggery, lemon zest, lemon juice and ginger.
- Bring it to a boil, lower heat and simmer for a good 20 minutes or until chutney thickens and looks glossy.
- Turn off the heat and allow chutney to cool down completely before bottling it up.
- Keeps well for a week in the refrigerator. If more, let me know 😉
*Panch Phoran is Indian five spice, which is made of equal parts of fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
So friends, if you have any tips at all on how to juggle it all, please let me know. I do not want to feel burned out again by another social media frenzy that is, SnapChat or whatever is in the works.
What is your favorite way of enjoying chutney’s? Any fun recipe?