Serves 4 as a side dish
- 12 oz ivy gourd, tips discarded & sliced lengthwise
- 1.5 tbsp mustard oil
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 green chilies, slitted
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat a medium large kadhai/wok on high. Add mustard oil and allow to smoke a little before turning down the heat to medium.
- Add fenugreek seeds, green chilies and turmeric powder. Stir and cook for 30 seconds before adding sliced ivy gourd.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and stir fry the gourds until it begins to blister. This should take a few minutes.
- Add salt and minced garlic, give it a stir, lower the heat and cover to soften the gourd. Stir in between as well.
- After a few minutes, check whether the gourds have soften or fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with a serving of dal, pickles, yogurt and salad.
Ciao and see you next week!
Have you tried ivy gourds before? Or fenugreek seeds for that matter?