- 2 lbs / 907 gm of organic, fresh low fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp warm milk
- tiny pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- garnish: chopped pistachios & almonds
- Double-line a large cheese cloth over a strainer and a deep bowl. Make sure the bowl is deep enough to collect whey while draining the yogurt.
- Add yogurt into the large cheese cloth. Gather the sides into a knot and place it over the strainer and deep bowl. Place a can of beans or anything heavy over the yogurt to add pressure to help release whey or moisture from yogurt. Refrigerate this setup overnight.
- On the next day, spoon out the thickened yogurt into a clean bowl. Add powdered sugar and thoroughly stir to combine.
- Add 1 tbsp warm milk into a smaller bowl. Sprinkle in crushed saffron and stir. Set aside for a few minutes to allow saffron to bleed.
- Drizzle in cooled saffron milk and cardamom powder onto thickened and sweetened yogurt. Thoroughly stir and keep refrigerated until its time to serve.
- Sprinkle on some garnish before serving.
Have you tried thickened yogurt or shrikhand before? Any childhood memories associated to yogurt?