Makes about 3 cups
- 1 small sweet pumpkin, halved, seeds scooped out and roasted
- 1 cup raw pepita seeds
- 4 cups hot water
optional: spices and flavorings
- On the night before, pre-soak raw pepita seeds in some water.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place pumpkin halves cut side down. Roast pumpkin for 30 minutes.
- Once roasted pumpkin is safe enough to handle, scoop out the flesh, mash and measure 2 cups.
- Drain water out of soaked pepita seeds and wash it thoroughly.
- In a huge bowl, add mashed roasted pumpkin flesh, soaked raw pepita seeds and 4 cups of hot water. Allow this to steep until it reaches room temperature.
- Add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for at least 2 minutes or until pepita is totally smooth.
- Place a large strainer lined with a few layers of muslin/cheese cloth over a bowl. Drizzle in blended pumpkin-pepita seed milk. With clean hands, gently squeeze out pumpkin-pepita milk as much as possible from pulp.
- Do not discard pulp! Use it in smoothies, muffins etc 🙂
- This is the time to add any flavorings of your preference, i.e pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla etc..
- Refrigerate for consumption in soups, curries, smoothies, lattes etc.
Have a great weekend!
What’s your favorite milk? Have you tried making nut/seed milk before?