Makes a 9 inch tart
- 3 heaping pounds of shrikhand (thickened yogurt), made with fresh low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- 10 digestive biscuits (I used Brittania sugar free digestives for this recipe)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice (yield from 2 oranges)
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 pkt (about 8 gm) powdered gelatin, unflavored
- chopped pistachios
- sliced oranges
- edible flowers (optional)
- whipped cream
- See here for easy steps on how to make shrikhand the night before.
- Spoon out shrikhand into a clean bowl. Sift in powdered sugar and cardamom powder. Add crushed saffron threads and whisk everything until combined. Cling wrap and return flavored shrikhand into the fridge while prepping the rest of ingredients.
- To prepare the tart shell, add digestive biscuits into a food processor. Pulse until fine before adding melted butter and orange zest. Pulse just until everything combines.
- Dump crumbs into a 9 inch springform pan. Using a flat-bottomed glass, press crumbs until the sides, evenly, to form a tart shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set the crust.
- Once tart shell and shrikhand has enough time to set in the fridge, time to finish making the filing.
- Add orange juice into a bowl. Sprinkle in powdered gelatin and microwave for 30 seconds on high. Remove and whisk to combine. Allow to cool slightly before adding orange blossom water. Stir and bring to room temperature. Make sure to whisk in between to melt gelatin completely. Make sure liquid is still in “pourable” state for the next step. If gelatin begins to thicken too much, just stick it back in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Remove tart shell and shrikhand from the refrigerator. Using a strainer, sieve through cooled liquid orange gelatin into shrikhand. With a spatula, gently fold everything to combine.
- Immediately spoon in shrikhand into prepared tart shell. Spread evenly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Garnish just before serving, and don’t forget to serve it with some freshly whipped cream. Best served cold.
What are your go-to foods to soothe a bruised ego?