- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 cup of whole or low-fat milk
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tbsp assam black tea
- 2 tsp darjeeling full tea leaf
- 3 to 4 tbsp of raw sugar (or taste)
- In a deep saucepan, heat water and whole milk on medium high heat. Add grated ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves and crushed cardamom pods.
- As soon as liquids begin to simmer, add tea leaves. Continue simmering for another 1 minute. Do not over-simmer. Tea would taste bitter.
- As soon as chai color is concentrated and comes to a full simmer, remove from heat, add sugar to taste and stir to combine.
- Strain tea into serving mugs and serve hot with your favorite cookies!
Note: feel free to use all assam black tea. I just happen to love the combination with darjeeling full tea leaf.
What’s your favorite “spiced” beverage?