- a little over 1 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/4 cup thick / hung yogurt
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and skinned
- 1/4 cup almonds, skinned
- a bowl of hot water
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 2 heaping tbsp ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads, crushed
- 2 tsp of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp of finely chopped fresh mint
- pistachio and almonds
- tiny pinch of crushed saffron
- Slice chicken breasts into desired size, add into a bowl. Coat meat with thick yogurt. Set aside.
- Add pistachios and almonds into a bowl with hot water. Set aside for 15 minutes to soften.
- Meantime, heat a large non-stick saucepan (kadhai) on medium. Add ghee and wait to heat before adding cinnamon stick and cloves.
- After 15 seconds, add in diced onions and cook until onions begins to soften and browned ever so slightly. This should take anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes. Do not burn or over-brown the onions.
- Throw in ginger-garlic paste and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Lower heat to medium-low, and toss in all the spice powders (coriander, cumin, green cardamom). Cook gently and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to avoid burning the spices.
- Dump in marinated chicken breasts. Evenly coat chicken pieces with spices. Cook on gentle heat for a few minutes to avoid yogurt from splitting. Sprinkle in salt, black pepper and crushed saffron threads. Cook for 5 minutes or until oil begins to separates on the sides.
- Drain soften pistachios and almonds. Add into a small food processor with 4 tbsp of warm water. Pulse until a thick and grainy paste forms.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add in nut paste a little at a time. Keep stirring in between until sauce begins to thicken.
- Lower heat to medium, put on a lid and cook chicken for 15 minutes. Stir in between.
- Once chicken is cooked and sauce is thicken to desired liking, remove from heat and sprinkle in finely chopped coriander leaves and mint.
- Garnish to your hearts desire and serve kashmiri chicken with basmati rice and garlic naan. Do it!
What is your favorite family meals or recipes?