Makes one 6 inch x 3.5 inch bundt cake
Glazed blood orange:
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Blood orange glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp blood orange juice
- 1/8 tsp orange blossom water
- Add sugar, water and thinly sliced blood oranges into a skillet. Heat skillet on medium high. Once sugar melts and begins to simmer, lower heat to medium and gently soften sliced oranges until glaze thickens. This should take 8 to 10 minutes. Once done, allow to cool while preparing cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 6 inch x 3.5 inch bundt pan. Once glazed orange slices are cool, arrange and layer it to cover the bottom of bundt pan. Set the pan aside.
- In a stand mixer fitter with a paddle, cream softened butter and sugar for 2 minutes on medium. Cream until butter is pale. Using a spatula, scrape the sides of stand mixer bowl whenever necessary.
- Add eggs one at the time to fully incorporate into the batter.
- Drizzle in buttermilk, orange blossom water and zest. Beat on medium-low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift all the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder & salt).
- With the mixer on low, add the sifted dry ingredients. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Remove the stand mixer bowl and using a spatula, make a few folds to combine all the ingredients.
- Spread batter into prepared bundt pan that is lined with glazed orange slices. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until tooth pick inserted, comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely in the bundt pan before inverting the cake on a cake stand.
- To prepare the glaze: Add all ingredients into a bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Once cake is completely cooled and inverted, drizzle glaze and allow to set before slicing and serving with tea or coffee.
What’s your favorite time of the day to shoot? Food, lifestyle or any forte, it doesn’t matter.