- 6 to 7 apples or 4 heaping cups of diced apples, peeled and cored
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped and pureed
- 6 tbsp ghee, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- a few strands of saffron
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp orange blossom extract
- 1/3 cup of fine coconut flour
garnish: chopped raw pistachios
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel (kadhai) on medium high. Once pan is heated, add ghee. Wait for ghee to heat before adding diced and pureed apples with sugar and saffron.
- Cook apples until softens. It would take about 15 minutes or so. Stir frequently in between. Cook apples until most of the moisture evaporates and oil separates on the sides.
- Add cardamom + cinnamon powder, salt and orange blossom extract. Stir to combine before adding finely ground coconut powder.
- Remove kadhai from heat and continue stirring until fudge thickens. Allow fudge/barfi to cool to touch before spreading it in a bread pan, lined with parchment.
- Spread barfi evenly and top it with chopped nuts. Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for a few hours before slicing and serving!
Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Deepavali!!!
Have you tried apple barfi before? What’s on your Diwali menu?