Blueberry Lemon Pancakes

by Kiran on August 2, 2013 · 106 comments

in Breakfast/Brunch, Desserts, Pancakes

Happy August!!

And hello to yet another new month and almost the end of another week. Time is flying by like a blink of an eye!! And before you know it, summer would be replaced by autumn and then winter comes along.

2014 is just lurking around the corner.

Ohmygosh.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes | KiranTarun.com

And then, there’s the replacing of TV and blender — which is still in the budgeting phase because it’s so so expensive!! We’ve been without any for a week now. Life is not the same.

But that’s not the priority :)

So instead of babbling how expensive it’s going to be to replace broken TV and kitchen appliance, let’s talk about social media.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes | KiranTarun.com

I love discussions and sometimes find it difficult to get everyone’s opinion, here on the blog. That’s where Facebook & Google+ pages comes in. I find it so interactive with multiple flows of discussions and inputs from so many people.

For instance, my blender broke and who do I rush to get advise from? Not Google or consumer/product review websites. It was social media to the rescue! I’ve read that social media can be a huge deterrent for many and in general, a bad practice.

That shouldn’t be the case.

The key is to really know the reason of using it and how to make the best use out of it. But above it all, being responsible is also key. I can’t imagine having so many social media accounts and hammering out ruthless opinions only to have it all bite me in a job interview. Not cool.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes | KiranTarun.com

Now that we have covered responsibility, the next important step is how much are you prepared to entangle yourself into social media? Rule of thumb is you wouldn’t want each and every second of your life to be dictated by social media.

Life is only once. Live it to the fullest. Plan a picnic with the family. Go on a family hike. Nurture a hobby. Have a weekend brunch tradition. Make pancakes together.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes | KiranTarun.com

• 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • butter for griddle

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, sift all dry ingredients.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients (with exception to blueberries and butter).
  3. Gently stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Do not over-mix. Fold in fresh blueberries.
  4. Allow batter to rest for 15 minutes.
  5. Heat griddle or a large non-stick skillet on medium.
  6. Add a little butter and swirl around the pan. Spoon 2 heaping tbsp of batter (per pancake) onto hot skillet. Allow pancake surface to bubble for a minute, before flipping. Cook for another 1 minute or until pancakes are lightly browned.
  7. Remove pancakes onto a parchment lined baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven, preheated on a low/warm setting.
  8. Continue making pancakes with the rest of batter.
  9. Serve pancakes with warmed maple syrup, butter and fresh blueberries.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes | KiranTarun.com

A few days ago, I posted this question on my Facebook page:

I miss writing a postcard or letter. It’s something so personal and yet almost forgotten.What are your thoughts on how technology has almost taken over the simplest way to communicate?

I hope you’d also share your take on social media, in general. Have a great weekend, friends :)

Enjoyed this recipe? Join others and get free email updates!

1 Rosa August 2, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Lovely! Those delightful pancakes make my mouth water…

Cheers,

Rosa

2 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Rosa — haha, thanks friend :)

3 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You August 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Delicious, Kiran! I’d love to have a whole stack for breakfast!!!
Denise Browning@From Brazil To You recently posted..Castello Moments Cheese Recipes on the Web

4 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Denise — thanks! i wish pancakes travel well. i would’ve fedex it over ;)

5 Ash- foodfashionparty August 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

These pancakes look fluffy and perfect. The pictures are beautiful.
Not a fan of social media and new technology, but also glad at the same time, it allows me to see my parents everyday from this far. Mixed feelings.
Ash- foodfashionparty recently posted..TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES

6 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Ash — thank you!

on the other hand, blogging is social media :)

7 Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Gorgeous, I’m in love with the pancakes and your photos!

8 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Laura — thank you so much, friend :)

9 Charul @ Tadka Masala August 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I am one of those people who check their phone first thing in the morning. Yep, call me a addict. But then, can we really do without social media? I mean considering the fact that it has helped you, me and everybody else too in some way or other, I don’t think we can and why should we. All that we need to do is to know how much to get involved.

10 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Charul — hahaha.. me too, since i have family all over the world. i don’t think we can do without social media. it’s the newest way of communication. i mean, how often do people actually use email to communicate these days? hardly :D

11 Tanvi@SinfullySpicy August 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I want these! Really drooling here. Blueberry pancakes are my fav – the only thing I always orderat ihop.Addition of chia (my other new found love) = BRILLIANT!
Tanvi@SinfullySpicy recently posted..Vegetable Hakka Noodles

12 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Tanvi — lol, thanks dear :)

13 Sissi August 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Your pancakes look luscious and so summery with blueberries on top… I have never had American pancakes and I guess the only way to taste them would be to prepare them on my own :-)
I am not a big user of social media (I am the one who looks at users’ comments in several languages, on different forums, websites… it took me a month tomade a decision and replace my broken microwave!).
Sissi recently posted..Spicy Cold Soba (Buckwheat Noodles) with Fresh Coriander

14 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Sissi — you need to try pancakes soon! so comforting :)

15 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking August 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I love blueberry and lemon together, and in these pancakes I bet the flavor combo is just amazing! What a scrumptious stack for lazy weekends! Great recipe, Kiran.
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking recently posted..No-Bake Strawberry Lemonade Bites

16 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Georgia — thanks love! there’s nothing like summer deliciousness. so sad it’s going to be over soon. better savor it all now :D

17 dixya| food, pleasure, and health August 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM

pancake tradition makes everything better <3
dixya| food, pleasure, and health recently posted..Update on Acne Battle + What can Possibly Aggravate Acne?

18 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Dixya — ditto!!

19 Sophie August 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What lovely blueberry lemon pancakes! they look adorable, tasty & fabuliscious too! :) Wonderful pics! :) x
Sophie recently posted..A tasty Vegan & Gluten-Free refreshing side dish!

20 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Sophie — thank you so much, friend :)

21 Maria August 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Kiran loved your pancakes they are so tempting and healthy option too :)
Maria recently posted..Thai Inspired Fried Potatoes

22 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Maria – thank you so so much :)

23 Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 3, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I know! Can you believe it’s August?! 2014 really is lurking around the corner.

Blueberry and lemon are such a lovely pair. I usually pair them in baked goods but love the idea in a pancake! Your photos are as always gorgeous. Have a great weekend Kiran!
Anne ~ Uni Homemaker recently posted..Garlic Chipotle Butter

24 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Anne — thanks dear, and hope you are having a great week :)

25 Maria | Pink Patisserie August 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

New to your blog and happy to have found you! Gorgeous food and photos, and a really timely reminder for me about the influence of social media. It can, and sometimes absolutely takes over my life. Working on it. :)
Maria | Pink Patisserie recently posted..Red and White Currant Streusel Muffins

26 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Maria — welcome and thank you so much! in regards to social media, it’s all about balance. And juggling it all :)

27 NaturesComplete August 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Great recipe! as for my take on social media. It definitely has its pros and cons. I did a paper on this very subject in on of my school classes in college. I know a lot of jealousy is spiked through social media. I’ve experienced this in my own life. then there is the twist where employers look at your site and judge you on that. People either do not get hires, or they get fired over it. I’ve even heard of employers asking for your password on these sites which I think is wrong. If you bash your job on the website that is grounds for firing, but if you are in a photograph having a cocktail on your own time I think that is none of their business. That’s my two cents. I can go on and on, on this subject.
NaturesComplete recently posted..Little Miss Muffet Sat on her Tuffet eating her Curds and Whey

28 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Naturescomplete — thank you so much for your insights on social media. i think it’s a beneficial tool, if used for the right reasons. and yes, it’a a violation of basic rights if employers crosses the boundary and demands passwords. So absurd!

29 Kate@Diethood August 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Dude. Teach me. Your photos are freakin’ gorgeous!!! Can these beautiful pancakes be included in the lesson?! THANKS! :)
Kate@Diethood recently posted..“Share A Haircut” – For the Cause #shareahaircut

30 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Kate — hahaha! thanks, friend. you take beautiful photos. do you truly need anymore guidance? i don’t think so :)

Instead, i’d rather we sit down for a meal, together.

31 Angie@Angie's Recipes August 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I am HUNGRY! These pancakes look so beautiful and delicious.
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Broad Bean Salad with Feta and Almonds

32 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Angie — thank you so so much, friend :)

33 Wendy August 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

What a lovely breakfast these would make! Fruity and fresh with whole grain AND chia. :) Tomorrow morning, these are on the agenda.
Please share what you decided about a new blender! I have been without a good blender for years because I can’t make up my mind! I bought a Ninja ( so many bloggers seem to love theirs) and it fell apart the first time I used it (making SALAD DRESSING!). Now I am looking at Blendtec, again because so many bloggers love theirs. Sometimes, however, the love comes from sponsored posts. Its back to Consumer Reports (low tec in print magazine) for me.
Wendy recently posted..Cinnamon Dream Cookies

34 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Wendy — yay! i hope you enjoyed this pancakes. let me know how it tastes :)

you are so right about blogger opinions. would keep you posted on the blender. it’s still in the budgeting process ;)

35 Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence August 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I totally agree with you – I now ask the social medias when I need advice on a purchase. Such a good resource!

Those little wire racks in one of your photos – what are they called? Are they just small cooling racks? Love them as a prop!
Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence recently posted..Summer Crush

36 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Brandon — the wire racks are called “metal screen” :)

37 Julia | JuliasAlbum.com August 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Beautiful pancakes – pinned! And beautiful philosophy on social media too. :) All I know I need to use social media more. For now, I am just active and present at Pinterest, but that’s about it, unfortunately. Need to balance it all out with other social media.
Julia | JuliasAlbum.com recently posted..Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

38 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Julia — thank you so much, friend :)

i don’t think i can juggle all these expectations from social media. pick and choose and go with it. so far, i’m on facebook, pinterest and instagram. that’s about all i can handle for now :D

39 Patty August 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My favorite blueberry pancakes-love your photos!!
My take on social media-the ability to share all the time instead of once a week in elementary school on sharing day ;)
Patty recently posted..Rainbow Chard and Corn Fritters with Herbed Goat Cheese Sauce

40 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Patty — thank you so much! love your take on social media. sounds fun :)

41 Gintare @Gourmantine August 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Lovely lovely pancakes, would definitely make a happy start to the day!
When it comes to social media, I adore some (instagram) and just can’t warm up fully to others (twitter)…
Gintare @Gourmantine recently posted..Ice Cream Heaven

42 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Gintare — thank you so much, friend. social media can be so over-whelming sometimes :)

43 sippitysup August 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Those pancakes look spectacular, but I don’t know about trusting social media for something as important as a blender! I imagine you’d get some pretty “mixed up” opinions. HAR! GREG

44 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Greg — ha! so true but its nice to read all the different opinions :)

45 Mr. & Mrs. P August 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I know! This year has felt like it flown by for us too!!!

We just love the combo of lemon and blueberry!!! Wonderful pancakes!
Mr. & Mrs. P recently posted..DIY Chandelier Makeover

46 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Christy — thank you :)

47 Asmita August 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Wow!
Your pancakes look amazing!
Asmita recently posted..Chicken Frankies

48 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Asmita — thank you so much :)

49 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

These look DElicious!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paleo Banana-Walnut Bread

50 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Matt — thanks friend :)

51 cquek August 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM

These pancakes look great, I’d love to have one for breakfast!

52 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Cquek — only one is never enough :)

53 Hannah August 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Since when was it already AUGUST?!

These pancakes look gorgeous… I love the little jammy dots of blueberries mixed with fresh ones on top. Could definitely eat a whole plate of these!
Hannah recently posted..Strawberry maple spelt muffins

54 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Hannah — haha, i know right? :)

55 Alice August 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Beautiful food & sentiments. I’m a lot guilty of my addiction to both pancakes & social media. Like anything else, I say it’s only when you stop enjoying it, that you need to consider other options! :)
Alice recently posted..Food Lovers Unite! Out & about with Tastemade

56 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Alice — thank you so much and I agree with you whole-heartedly about social media. Have fun! :)

57 torviewtoronto August 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

pancakes look fabulous

58 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

TorviewToronto — thank you so much :)

59 Monet August 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Beautiful post. I loved your advice too. We all need to spend more time with our friends and family! I’m all about that picnic (and these pancakes!)

60 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Monet — thanks so much and give Lucy a squeeze for me, please :)

61 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I love blueberry pancakes, but putting lemon in them sounds even better! For me, I’ve decided to stick with the social media platforms I like and not join the rest. I think people get burnt out because they’re on everything, all day–no thanks!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What Caitlin from The Vegan Chickpea Ate This Week

62 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Kiersten — totally agree with you on social media. too much takes away the joy of it :)

63 john@kitchenriffs August 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I love the combo of blueberry and lemon! Heck, I like lemon in almost anything! These look wonderful. I was just thinking the other day that it’s been ages since I’ve had blueberry pancakes, and now you post this. It must be a sign!
john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Crab Rangoon

64 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

John — haha! love lemons and it’s a sign you have to make this soon :)

65 Sarah | The Sugar Hit August 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Man, these pancakes look wonderful. When it comes to social media, I tend to take a pretty relaxed approach, and try to remember not to say anything I wouldn’t say in person. Keep it positive, and have fun!
Sarah | The Sugar Hit recently posted..Elegant Maple & Blueberry Jelly

66 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Sarah — thank you so much. i love your perspective on social media. so spot on!

67 honeywhatscooking August 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Looks wonderful. Love blueberry pancakes, I can’t just eat plain pancakes, i need something in them / on them. :)
honeywhatscooking recently posted..Dining in Grace Bay | Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

68 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Nisha — me too :)

69 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I got blueberries as soon as I came back. I’ve been eating fresh blueberries and waiting to try using some for cooking. These pancakes are VERY tempting right now. Good thing it’s summer break – I can make these in the late morning and make it to brunch with the kids (obviously I cannot wake early enough for weekdays once school starts. Heheh).
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Mango Lassi Popsicles

70 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Nami — thanks dear. and i don’t want summer to slip away so soon. berries are just that good :D

71 kebhari August 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM

your nice recipe!

72 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Kebhari — thank you!

73 easyfoodsmith August 5, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Yum yum yum! The pancakes look amazing.
As for the social media, i just can’t stop being in awe of all those who are so active on the social networking sites. I just can’t seem to be able to manage the time for them! May be it is the classic case of busy without work in my case :-P

74 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

EFS — thank you so much! hahaha, i’m in awe of others too! i just pick and choose what works best for me and my time. can’t do it all, and i’m fine with that :)

75 Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 5, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Disconnecting from time to time is important, specially to make pancakes like these! But, it is a important part of my life today and probably in 2014 – which (I have to agree with you) will be here before you know it!
Lovely pictures Kiran!
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted..Chocolate Chip and Oat Bars

76 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Shashi — thanks dear. moderation, being happy and content is also key :)

77 Kumar's Kitchen August 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

SCRUMPTIOUS PANCAKES…BLUEBERRIES MAKE THEM ALL THE MORE ADDICTIVE
:-)

78 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Kumar — thank you and yes, berries are so addictive!

79 Jeanette August 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Kiran, these remind me of the blueberry pancakes my mom used to make when we visited Maine one summer. Love the idea of lemon in these and the whole grain goodness!
Jeanette recently posted..Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Chestnut Soup Recipe and Culinary Exploration Workshop

80 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Jeanette — thanks so much, my dear. love it when food makes beautiful memories :)

81 Yvonne @ bitter baker August 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yumyumyum! For some reason I always make pancakes natural. You’ve convinced me that blueberries and lemon might be even better. Trying this next!!
Yvonne @ bitter baker recently posted..Sunflower anise sourdough muffins

82 Kiran August 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Yvonne — yay! everything is better with berries and lemon. do let me know how it tastes :)

83 nusrat2010 August 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Kiraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! Come see me; we’ll make these pancakes together so that I can sneak into your head and steal some cool photography related ideas :D
Hubby screamed “Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn” looking at your blueberry painted seductive pancakes :)
nusrat2010 recently posted..First Date. Potato Cakes

84 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Nusrat — hahahaha!!! say my thanks to the hubby. you both are so sweet :)

ps: wish we could all meet. everyone is so spread all over the place.

85 Juliana August 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I love your blueberry pancakes, especially because they are loaded with blueberries…beautiful pictures!
Have a fantastic week ahead :D

86 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Juliana — thank you so much, friend :)

87 Liz August 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Kiran, I haven’t been by for ages and again I’m in awe of your gorgeous photos! You are an inspiration. Plus your pancakes look marvelous.
Liz recently posted..Lava Cakes with Kahlua Whipped Cream #ChocolateParty

88 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Liz — awww, thanks so so much friend :) xoxo

89 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl August 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

These pancakes are calling my name and I am calling them back and we’re totally going to get together and I’m going to eat them! I can’t wait!
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted..Garden Harvest Salsa

90 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Pamela — hahaha! yes!!

91 Mallika August 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Happy August Kiran! Such lovely pancakes. You’ve made me drool and lick my screen! Love that first click… Stunning!
Mallika recently posted..Apple Raisin Cake

92 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Mallika — thanks and hope you are enjoying August!! Lol, thanks for the compliments :D

93 Poornima August 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

This would make an awesome breakfast. Blueberry and lemon is just so good together, awesome shots!

94 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Poornima — ditto!! thank you so much :)

95 Kulwant Singh August 7, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Looks lovely and mouth watering :)
Kulwant Singh recently posted..Home Remedies For Gingivitis

96 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Kulwant — thank you!

97 Cass @foodmyfriend August 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

This is a weekend favourite at our place :) Beautiful mix Kiran x
Cass @foodmyfriend recently posted..My Favourite Colcannon

98 Kiran August 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Cass — thank you!!

99 Meghan August 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Gorgeous! What a fabulous way to start the day! Hope you have a great weekend, Kiran :)
Meghan recently posted..No Bake Nutella Mascarpone Cheesecake

100 Kiran August 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Meghan — thanks love! have a great Sunday :)

101 Gemma @andgeesaid August 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

YUM! what perfect pancakes :) xxxx
Gemma @andgeesaid recently posted..Fortune Cookie Red Velvet Cupcakes

102 Kiran August 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Gemma — thank you so much!! :D

103 erika September 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Oh my goodness these photos are just GORGEOUS. Styling = perfection!
erika recently posted..Honey Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

104 Ryan October 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Ok, so I had these and they were delicious. I do have a couple notes, though.
1. Use a large lemon! I used a small-medium sized lemon and I really only got the lemon taste in certain bites.
2. Let’s take about the maple syrup. I didn’t have fresh blueberries so I used frozen ones instead. I put a cup of blueberries in a ziploc bag with a little water, then sealed it and ran it under cool to room temperature water to thaw them. After I folded the blueberries into the batter, I saved the juice in the bag. For the syrup, I used 1/4 cup of maple syrup, added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and poured some of the blueberry juice in it, maybe 1 – 2 teaspoons(I didn’t measure it, just eyed it up). It was DELICIOUS.

{ 2 trackbacks }