Due to the fact that I could not fathom the idea of eating cold foods (with the exception of salads). Yet, miraculously I managed to convince myself to sample chilled soup without even making a run towards the microwave.
Miracle works its magic in the most delicious ways, I tell ya.
Since I can’t eat my weight on cold desserts, a chilled soup that comprises some of my favorite ingredients made the cut. Why has it taken this long for me to grill an avocado — is a question that has many answers. But let’s not get to the nitty-gritty details today.
Let’s just find solace in a comforting bowl of cold soup and the opportunity to experience it all — including grilled avocados.
There’s always “first” for everything.
Like, grilling whole scallions (green onions), cucumbers and peppers. Geez, I really need to use the grill more often by experimenting with different produce.
While I prepare the next long list of foods to grill, crank up your grill and make this soup.
- some olive oil
- 2 medium very ripe avocados, halved
- 1 large cucumber, halved
- 6 whole stalks of spring onions
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Garnish (optional): toasted cubed bread, avocados, spring onions, chives, lemon zest & a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Coat halved avocados with some lemon juice to avoid browning. Brush some olive oil over avocados, cucumber, spring onions and jalapeno. Oil the hot grill too before grilling the veggies.
- Grill veggies for a few minutes or until everything is grilled/charred. Remove grilled veggies onto a platter to completely cool.
- Chop grilled veggies and add it into a food processor with remaining lemon juice, cold water, garlic, salt and black pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Portion out the soup into bowls and refrigerate to cool before serving, topped with some garnish.
Hope your first few days of summer is off to a delicious and happy start! Mine would be spent preoccupied over grilling and contemplating my next cold food adventure.
Oh my. The things we do in the name of food 😀
Do you enjoy “cold” foods (except for the obvious, i.e salads)? What’s on your grilling list this year? I’m excited about grilling a caesar salad!