The humidity is lesser these days and it was my birthday last weekend — and that ensued for a perfect excuse to try my hands at baking. Again.
Who needs a cake when there’s cookies?
Not me! 😀
And who bakes a cake on your own birthday? NOT ME. I chuckle just thinking about it.
Cake or without, there’s something about whipping up batches of cookies in a speed of lightening that feels more appealing. This recipe is definitely a soul-satisfying treat. I went all old school here by using butter and plenty of sugar to ensure every bite of cookie is celebratory.
To be fair, I nixed frosting on a cake so I deserved a proper celebratory dessert in its place. These cookies definitely made up for it in so many levels!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp espresso
- 1/3 cup chopped raw, unsalted hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle, add softened butter, sugar and light brown sugar. Cream on medium speed, until fluffy for 3 minutes.
- Add one egg and vanilla extract. On a low speed, stir just to combine.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (almond meal, all purpose flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa) in a large bowl. Add it all into the stand mixer.
- Cream cookie dough on medium speed until combined. Stream in fresh espresso and chopped hazelnuts. Stir to combine on low speed.
- Scoop cookie dough with a small ice cream scoop onto baking sheets, leaving enough room between scoops to allow cookies to spread.
- Bake between 12 to 15 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, before cooling it off completely on cooling racks.
- Dunk cookies into cold milk and enjoy!
I’m currently writing from the road — we are road-tripping to North Carolina on a very short visit to run some work errand. The Husband is manning the wheel for the next 10 hours and I could seriously snooze any minute now.
Not that it matters.
It’s cakes OR cookies for you? Only pick ONE 😉