It’s been so chilly every single day. And all I can think about is waking up to a hot cup of cocoa every single morning. With pots de creme au chocolat on the side. Or perhaps a side of chocolate croissant to further sweeten the deal?
Can I wake up to all this in Paris?
One can only dream.
Since I’m limited to dreaming about Paris for now — there’s no limitation to emulate French pastry experience in my kitchen. Nothing so complicated or fancy — something delicious that includes a lot of chocolate.
And the fact that V-Day is just around the corner, a great excuse to indulge in everything chocolaty goodness!
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups of low fat milk
- 1 vanilla bean, slitted & seeds removed
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup thick coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Add milk in a saucepan. Scrape vanilla bean seeds and add it into the milk with slitted whole vanilla bean. Heat milk to infuse vanilla for a few minutes on medium until milk is hot.
- In a bowl, whisk egg and yolks with sugar until combined. Add instant coffee powder and coconut cream. Whisk everything until smooth.
- Add chocolate into hot milk and whisk to melt.
- Temper eggs with a little hot milk + chocolate concoction, while whisking vigorously. Continue tempering until both concoctions are combined.
- Strain concoction back into the saucepan to smooth any lumps and heat it on low until creme slightly thickens for a few minutes. Stirring is required.
- Once creme has reached the desired consistency, pour it into prepared oven proof pots/ramekins. Place pots onto a deep baking dish, add hot water to create a “water bath” enough to immerse the pots halfway. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove pots from water bath to cool in room temperature. Chill pots de creme in refrigerator for a few hours to completely set the custard.
- Dig into custard topped with chopped pistachios.
Off to get under the sheets to be transported to Paris, with the help of dream. All I can think about is sipping cappuccino with spoons digging into delicious and chocolaty French pastries. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
Are you a pastry lover like me? I have a huge sweet tooth for French pastry
On a separate note — To all my friends at East Coast, if you are in the path of a terrible snow storm, we pray that you stay safe with plenty of food, water and keep warm during the turbulence. Thinking of each and every one of you.