- 2 tsp rapid rise dried yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- Combine yeast, honey and warm water in a small bowl. Stir and allow yeast to proof (bubble) for a few minutes.
- Mix flour, salt and sunflower seeds in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or a stand-mixer using a dough hook.
- Add proofed yeast and almond oil. Knead for a minute.
- Gradually add warm milk and continue kneading. Dough should be wet and sticky.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until doubled in bulk in a warm place, for about an hour.
- Grease and lightly flour one loaf pan.
- Punch down dough. Knead for a minute and shape dough into a loaf. Add shaped dough into loaf pan and allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough has risen 1 inch above loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sprinkle top of risen dough with sunflower seeds and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once baked, turn out bread from pan and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Note: Do not over-knead dough. Wouldn’t want a tough loaf, won’t ya?
Off to put my feet up and enjoy the rest of a sunny day. Or perhaps rustle up another batch of baking? Let’s see.
What are you loving about fall?