Homemade Paneer

by Kiran on February 21, 2012 · 115 comments

in Indian, Vegetarian

I’ve been keeping this secret for a while now — and it’s bursting at its seams. I just have to tell it all before I lose my mind.

I often mispronounce words.

Nope, I am not referring to common day-to-day communication. I am talking about the big words that fancy chef’s, restauranteur or a foodie uses — whether they truly know what they are talking about or just plain arrogance.

Heat milk to simmer lightly.

I am neither. I often tense and break a sweat whenever I come across words such as worcestershire, bouillabaisse or pouilly-fuisse.

Heck, I don’t even know what’s pouilly-fuisse actually refers to.

Yup, that’s my deep dark secret — anyone dare’s judging me? Go ahead. At least I am a confessor (crossing my fingers I am using the right word here).

Milk curdles after adding a few tbsp of lemon juice

There’s many misconceptions on how some words are being pronounced. Villagevoice compiled a long list of mispronounced food words — many of those words are guaranteed to shock you, like:

Sriracha (See-rah-cha)

Pho (fuh)

Paczki (POONCH-key)

Gyro (YEER-oh)

Boudin (the Cajun kind, “Boo-dan”)

Why can’t spelling and pronunciation go hand-in-hand? Why does life needs any more complications added to our day-to-day struggles?

Strain paneer using a cheesecloth to remove access moisture (whey).

For heaven’s sake, I better brush up on my yeer-oh before my greek brother-in-law discovers this abnormality in me.

On the other hand, I do know how to pronounce “paneer”. Not only it’s easy to pronounce, but darn easier to make as well!

You’ll need whole-lotta milk, some lemon juice, cheesecloth and patience. Easy-peasy.

Print This Recipe Print This Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1/2 gallon or 1.89 liter of whole organic milk
  • 3-4 tbsp of lemon juice

Directions:

1. Add milk in a heavy bottomed pot. Gently heat it on medium low, stirring every now and then to avoid burn.
  2. Heat milk only until it begins to simmer, gently.
  3. Remove milk from heat. Adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice at a time, continue stirring while hot cream begin separating from whey.
  4. Place a cheesecloth over a strainer. Drain cheese into cheesecloth.
  5. Using cheesecloth, shape cheese into a block. Do not remove it just yet. Hang cheesecloth on a handle in the kitchen for 1 hour to continue draining excess moisture. Place a bowl underneath.
  6. After an hour, place cheesecloth between two chopping boards. Add weight on the top. Press cheese for 2 more hours.
  7. Slice cheese to serve on salads, appetizers or entrees. Enjoy!

There’s quite a few paneer recipes you can try. Look for it at “more good eat’s” section below.

I am sure you are ready to make homemade Indian cheese. Now, go make me proud. And don’t forget to study those mispronounced words ;)

What’s your word of the day?

Enjoyed this recipe? Join others and get free email updates!

1 Ambika February 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

hehe…I totally agree with you on mispronounciations! I’ve had my embarassing moments with pho and gyro too! Why the hell does jalapeno have a J when it is not at all needed?? As you said, it just complicates the already complicated life. On the other hand your photos are awesome and bring joy to the eyes!
Ambika recently posted..Drunken Orange Cake

2 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ambika — thanks! Glad I am not alone on the J in “jalapenos” :D

3 Anita Menon February 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Loved the post. I mispronounce all the time. Then I am embarrassed and hence refrain from using those words ever.
I make fresh paneer at home and find it so much tastier than the frozen variety.
Anita Menon recently posted..Fruit & Nut Mini Lo(a)ves for Valentines

4 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Anita — thanks! fresh paneer is the best :)

5 Rosa February 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Wonderful tutorial. That is something I have to make soon…

Cheers,

Rosa

6 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Rosa — thanks. do try and let me know how it tastes :)

7 A Brown Table February 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Love the tutorial on paneer and the link to correct pronunciations. Your entire post had me cracking up, now I need to forward this to some friends ;)
A Brown Table recently posted..baozi – chinese steamed buns

8 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

A Brown Table — hahaha! I hope they had a good laugh too ;)

9 Susie Bee on Maui February 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

LOL, I have alot of foodie words I’m never sure I pronounce correctly: gourgeres, gouda (I’ve been told by an expert cheese person that it is “How-da”)

I’ve made paneer-it couldn’t be easier. I’d like to tackle some other cheeses at home but most are more daunting.
Susie Bee on Maui recently posted..Recipe for Curried Chicken with Peanuts

10 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Susie — ricotta cheese is by far the easiest, without any straining. But like you, I would love to try any other least complicated cheese recipes out there.

11 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It looks magnificent! Saw it on your instagram feed and got very excited!
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Caramel and Chocolate Gooey Bars

12 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Averie — yeehaw!! hope you would give it a go, someday :)

13 Charles February 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Ha, what a coincidence – I just made paneer on the weekend, and it was so fun to make too – definitely going to make it again soon! :) Love your photos Kiran.

14 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Charles — thanks so much!!

15 Rebecca February 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM

looks wonderful i was expecting BIG news he he
Rebecca recently posted..American Culinary Federation SE 2/20/12

16 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Rebecca — haha! I hope it would be, soon :)

17 Simply Life February 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I love that you made your own paneer- SO impressive! And don’t worry – I often have words I have to ask my husband how to pronounce :)
Simply Life recently posted..Cheese and Pepper Pizza Puffs: Becoming An Adult

18 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Gina — there’s nothing impressive about making paneer. It’s like making pasta from scratch for everyone else ;)

19 subhorup February 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Nice one, very nicely written and imaged. I coul so identify with the post. I turn into an absolute split personality in the specialty foods aisle at the stores, with one part of me getting all excited, and another part just trying to figure out what on earth this thing is and how it is meant to be pronounced. Thank god for popular stuff like Ghee and Turmeric and Kewra and Paneer that I can boast of knowing how to pronounce.
subhorup recently posted..The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

20 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Subhorup — haha, so true :)

21 Maureen February 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I’m LOLing at this post. I think some of the words are used to set them apart and above the rest of us. :)

I’ve made a lot of cheese at home but I’ve never made paneer. I saw Jamie on tv yesterday grilling paneer and topping it with sesame seeds and then he added it to a salad. I need to try it!
Maureen recently posted..Colcannon Croquettes

22 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Maureen — try Jamie’s recipe and let us know about it over on your blog :)

23 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} February 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ugh! I mispronounce so many of those words! Especially Gyros! ha ha! I didn’t know paneer was so easy to make! Love your photos Kiran!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Butternut Squash and Sage Pizza

24 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Katie — thanks sweetie. And yes, I mispronounced gyros, like a lot :D

25 anh@anhsfoodblog.com February 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I love paneer, a bit too much for my own good! I want to try to make this at home :>
anh@anhsfoodblog.com recently posted..Poached chicken soup with amaranth greens and quinoa

26 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Anh — it’s so easy, try this recipe and let me know if you have any questions.

27 Andi February 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I always struggle with the word bruschetta for some reason. :-) Apparently it’s “broo-SKEH-tah,” not “broo-SHEH-tah.”

I had no idea paneer was so easy to make! I’ve been spending waaayy too much buying it all these years. Thanks for the great recipe and funny post.

28 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Andi — you are welcome. so glad to share the knowledge of mispronouncing ;)

29 balvinder ( Neetu) February 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM

That’s right it is as easier to make as it sounds.
By the way, I have never heard the pouilly-fuisse. I use sriracha sauce so I know that. rest all words are unfamiliar. great post.
balvinder ( Neetu) recently posted..Green Salad With Grapes

30 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Balvinder — Ha, I didn’t know what’s pouilly-fuisse until now. Apparently its a dry white wine made from Chardonnay. Well, now we know.

31 Cass @foodmyfriend February 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

This looks really good. I have had a store bought packet of paneer in the fridge for a few weeks now and keep meaning to make a yummy curry with it. Thanks for the inspiration! Now I can compare fresh with store bought x
Cass @foodmyfriend recently posted..Brownie and Vanilla Bean Butter Cream Sandwiches

32 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Cass — make a curry, quick! :)

33 Angie@Angie's Recipes February 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

A wonderful paneer tutorial and it seems easy (or you make it seem easy) to make!
Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Rye Bread with Chinese Red Dates and Sultanas

34 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Angie — it is truly easy to make. Pinky promise ;)

35 easyfoodsmith February 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I too have had my share of mispronunciations leading to some very embarrassing moments.
Nothing beats freshly home made paneer; though in Indian one hardly needs to make it at home coz it is available at most local dairies ;-)
Nice step by step tutorial. Lovely post :-)
easyfoodsmith recently posted..SATURN MIDNIGHT MOON CAKE – EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

36 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM

EasyFoodSmith — thank you. I used to feel envious whenever i am back in India, where any dairy products are readily available. FRESH.

37 Khushboo Thadani February 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I had no idea Paczki (POONCH-key)…and to be honest, I had no idea this word even existed till now hehe ;)! I once heard someone pronounce a “nicoise” salad as “nick-oyce”….a part of me inside died!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Effectiveness of BFL workouts

38 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Khushboo — I would’ve died too ;)

39 Ann February 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

What a fun post! I am the same way….it’s always fun to learn new words, tho! I’m going to have to check out that site of mis-pronounced words!

I love paneer – there’s a certain dish where it’s served with spinach (and I can’t remember the name of it). I ADORE that dish – it was my introduction to Paneer – and the only way I had it. However, why mess with perfection?!

Thanks for a fun read and I hope you are well!
Ann recently posted..Sausage and Mash with Onion Gravy

40 Kiran February 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Ann — it’s palak paneer (with spinach).

41 chinmayie @ love food eat February 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Your post is going to save me some embarrassment in future :) You are right Thank god for Paneer ;)
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Cocoa Millet Crackers

42 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Chinmayie — :)

43 Katherine Martinelli February 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Haha I mispronounce words like that all the time – especially anything French! I have been waiting for you to post this paneer recipe and cannot WAIT to try it!!! Pinned :-)

44 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Katherine — thanks sweetie. I hope you get to try this recipe. Let me know how it tastes :)

45 Shareen February 22, 2012 at 3:23 AM

You make it look sooooooooo easy to do, I am definitely going to try this…

Cheers,
Shareen from the IMM group.

46 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Shareen — Welcome to Recipebox and thanks for commenting. Do let me know how it tastes :)

47 Nava Krishnan February 22, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Just like you, I am also alien to those words you have mentioned. It does not bother me because for me, writing is about expressing not impressing. Unless and until I have a need to know certain words, I rather stick to those I am familiar with. This is the same when discovered panini which is actually sandwiches but made with Italian bread, so that’s my translation.

I have been looking out for the paneer recipe bc my switch to becoming a vegetarian seems to be quite a journey, learning to cook veg recipes and I know paneer can be one of it I can saviour. Thanks and on my trying list. I have enjoyed paneer with spinach and these you have shared will be perfect for a home made version.

48 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Nava — as a foodie, I think there’s certain set of expectations to know some words. I don’t cook such dishes so to perfect the pronunciation, would be a test of time :)

49 Sanjeeta kk February 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

What crumbly paneer..can you hear me..I did pronounce it right :) Can’t take a chance with the other words you mentioned..
Sanjeeta kk recently posted..Dessert Recipe | Strawberry Yogurt Panna Cotta with Grape Compote – A Healthy Treat

50 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Sanjeeta — haha! You are funny :)

51 Julie M. February 22, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I had no idea paneer was so easy to make! I will definitely give this a try. Oh, and I have no idea what pouilly fuisse is either. :)
Julie M. recently posted..Chinese Five Spice Chicken Endive Salad

52 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Julie — paneer is so easy, I promise :)

53 Suchi February 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM

You go again girl, saying things people usually shove under the carpet :-) I have an absolute fright for French…they have turned pronouncing words differently from spelling them into an art form…I made a huge faux pas with guacamole and foccacia in a BBQ party at our house. Some of the guests thought I am illiterate…I think I was stressed and things came out the wrong way from my mouth! My husband still teases me!
You made chana…I keep making it at home…best thing ever…
Suchi recently posted..Visual Feast: London’s Borough Market…

54 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Suchi — thanks! I am just keeping it real ;)

On the other hand, husband’s do find some loop holes to keep teasing us on something that ends up becoming irritating, no?

55 Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb February 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I was actualy wondering, since I was introduced to paneer, how it was made. A israeli lady in the neighborehood had told me that she was making her own paneer. I didnt realy understand it. anyway… now I have your recipe. so I can try it out myself. thanks a lots for sharing Kiran!

56 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Helene — you are welcome sweetie.. Let me know how it turned out :)

57 Ina gawne February 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Kiran – thanks for sharing the tutorial! I have always wondered if I could make paneer with Kefir milk. When I have an abundance of Kefir, I will give it a try!

58 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Ina — do let me know how it goes with kefir milk. I am intrigued :)

59 Cookin' Canuck February 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

All judgement is reserved here because I have been known to mispronounce words regularly! I have always wanted to make paneer, so I am bookmarking this wonderful tutorial.
Cookin’ Canuck recently posted..Whole Grain Penne Recipe with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, Cauliflower & Capers {Giveaway}

60 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Dara — welcome to Recipebox and thanks for commenting. I hope you get to try this recipe and do let me know how it turns out for you :)

61 dixya February 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Loved your confession about mispronunciation. I feel the same way!!! I made paneer few weeks ago but I flavored it, ever tried that way. It was a pleasant surprise :)
dixya recently posted..Organic Mom Alert!!

62 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Dixya — thank you! I often make flavored paneer as well. It’s so delish :)

63 Gretchen O'Donnell February 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

What a fun post! Great pictures showing a process that not a lot of us have done! And I love your writing/confession!!! There are a few words that stree me out, too – Worchestershire could get anyone, that’s for sure!!!
Gretchen O’Donnell recently posted..Oscar the Slouch

64 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Gretchen — I agree about darn Worcestershire. It’s so annoying ;)

65 Reem | Simply Reem February 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Love the post…
I mispronounce something everyday… LOL My husband hates it when I do it…LOL
Paneer looks perfect, now sweetie make some matar paneer and send my way…
I know I am a greedy blogging friend of yours… ;-)

66 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Reem — hahaha! I am sure you make better matar paneer than me. I’ll try my best ;)

67 Feast on the Cheap February 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

OMG gyro is pronounced yeer-roh?! I had NO idea.
Feast on the Cheap recently posted..Honey & Butter-Glazed Pretzel Bites with Roasted Garlic

68 Kiran February 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Feast on the cheap — we always learn something new, right? ;)

69 Manreet Sodhi Someshwar February 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Enjoyed your post! Paneer, paneer, paneer – what would the world be without it?! As for mispronunciation, we all have our secrets, right. My most humiliating one was when I mispronounced ‘Grand Prix’ as a quiz master at college infront of a full auditorium – people didn’t stop sniggering forever. Phew!
Manreet Sodhi Someshwar recently posted..Review: Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

70 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Manreet — welcome to Recipebox and thanks for commenting :)

Just to inform you, I am unable to post comment on your blog. Would appreciate it if you enable (name + url) function on the comment section. Makes life easier :)

71 Juliana February 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Oh! I love paneer, and from your post it seems so easy, but I am not so sure that I’d be able to come up with what you are showing here ;-)
Mispronunciation? I am very familiar with it, many times I need to ask my husband how certain words are pronounced…
Hope you are having a wonderful week Kiran :)

72 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Juliana — thank you so much. Do try this recipe since it comes with step-by-step tutorial :)

73 parenting articles February 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM

ooohhh~
that looks so perfect!

74 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM

PA — welcome to Recipebox and thanks for commenting :)

75 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 23, 2012 at 5:41 AM

I’m sure I’ve mispronounced my fair share of food terms over the years, you’re right, why doesn’t pronunciation go hand in hand with spelling?
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Homemade Flax and Hemp Seed Crackers | Grain-Free and Gluten-Free

76 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Sylvie — it’s mind bogging-ly true :)

77 Asmita February 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I like the step by step tutorial to make paneer. The photos are beautiful!
Asmita recently posted..Strawberry Country Cake

78 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Asmita — thank you so much dear :)

79 Ameena February 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I mispronounce so many words that it isn’t even funny. And what’s my excuse? I was brought up in the USA? :)

Love paneer. It is one of my most favorite Indian foods. Great job making your own!
Ameena recently posted..customer service

80 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Ameena — I think it’s easy for anyone to make mistakes. Take jalapenos for an example ;)

81 Bikram February 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM

THats easy to make , will give it a try. Although i have made paneer bhurji which is almost similar instead of hanging it .. you keep cooking till the water disappears or drain the water first and then cook :) add some peas and a dish ready

Bikram’s
Bikram recently posted..Wordless Wednesday(33) :- Bloooooooooooo

82 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Bikram — you’ve got to share the paneer bhurji recipe :)

83 Jen February 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Yummmm.MOM! Should ask her to make this.I simply droool on seeing paneer!!!! :)
Jen recently posted..Dreams-seeking The extraordinary

84 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Jen — awww.. thanks! I hope your mom makes it for you :)

85 Margarita February 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I did not know that it was this easy to make paneer! I can’t wait to try this.

86 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Margarita — let me know how it tastes :)

87 Olga @ MangoTomato February 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I’ve made paneer once, but failed to write down the amounts of each ingredient :) LOVE paneer. Next time I want to make it, I’ll definitely refer to your post.
Olga @ MangoTomato recently posted..Braised Lamb Shanks with White Beans and Tomatoes

88 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Olga — thanks a lot sweetie :)

89 Deeps @ Naughty Curry February 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM

tell me about it, i do my bit of fumbling with complicated names all the time! i hate how it makes me feel like such a nincompoop… now that i know there are others sailing in the same boat im feeling so much better :) btw, paneer has come out perfect
Deeps @ Naughty Curry recently posted..The City of Pearls- Hyderabad

90 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Deeps — thanks dear. It’s a sigh of relief when a lot of us share the same “boat” ;)

91 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Hehe there are so many food words that are tricky aren’t there? :P And also designer names-so many people still don’t know how to pronounce Hermes etc :)
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Ramen Miso Bolognese

92 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Lorraine — I laughed just at the thought of “Hermes” :D

93 Sammie February 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM

oooh! I loooove paneer! I especially love Shahi Paneer! Glad to know I can make my own now!
Sammie recently posted..Jalepeno and Cheese Bagels

94 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Sammie — Welcome to Recipebox and thanks for commenting. Let me know if you have any questions on this recipe :)

95 Parsley Sage February 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I can’t say burglary ring to save my life. Which sucks cause you’d be surprised how often it comes up when you read the news for a living. I can say Paneer though! Great recipe, thanks for sharing :)
Parsley Sage recently posted..45th Annual Agriculture Show

96 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Parsley Sage — never knew you are a news reader! That’s cool ;)

97 Sukanya February 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I totally agree with you on this mispronounciation things…and that reminds me of a popular joke…”a student keep on pronouncing nature as na-too-re, one day the frustrated teacher scolded him – if u keep on pronouncing nature as na-too-re, I dont know then about your foo-too-re (future) :D

homemade paneer oh we simply love it, for making rosogollas…or sandesh..what does any bong will do with paneer ? ;-)
Sukanya recently posted..Ultimate double chocolate drop cookies

98 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Sukanya — that joke had me laughing so hard :D

99 Magic of Spice February 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM

You are too funny! And your paneer looks amazing! My son has made a few cheeses and they were so good, but I will have to have him try this one as well…delicious!
Magic of Spice recently posted..Whats for dessert? Chocolate Truffle and Beet Mousse Candy Cups

100 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Magic of Spice — you need to share some of your son’s cheese recipe too :)

101 Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious February 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Count me in! I have WAY too many words that I can’t even pronounce ;-) The “gyro” is the one that keeps on coming up, every single person I know seems to say it differently. Love this post and the recipe, thanks for sharing! :)
Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious recently posted..Lasagna Soup

102 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Yudith — :)

103 Baker Street February 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I’ve almost never tried to make paneer at home mainly because its so easily available for us.

Your homemade version looks absolutely perfect Kiran! :)
Baker Street recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie | Part II

104 Kiran February 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Anu — Ha! I wish it was readily available here. It’s the freshness level that I am mostly concern about. Frozen ones are available, but definitely not the best option.

105 Nami | Just One Cookbook February 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I’ve seen homemade paneer since I started blogging. Maybe this is 3-4th one. I haven’t had a chance to try making it or having it yet, but I always wonder how it’s like. Your photos are all gorgeous, making me curious more about this.

106 mycookinghut February 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I have always wanted to try making paneer! Looks really easy!
mycookinghut recently posted..prawn, mushroom & vegetable wrap

107 Sakhi March 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM

gosh, you scared me there with all those words!! :oops: :oops:

And you know what, i simply love garam garam homemade paneer, with lemon juice, a little salt and a little crushed black pepper sprinkled over it :) yummy, yum… :D

108 Shannon | Just As Delish March 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’ve tried making paneer, but it didn’t set/firm as beautifully as yours. will try it again. I also noticed that the ricotta cheese recipe is the same as paneer?
Shannon | Just As Delish recently posted..Mushroom Tartlet with Oat Crust (Gluten Free)

109 LinsFood March 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Hey Kiran, this was a really funny post – I identify totally! You’re going to hate me for this but as an English teacher and someone who speaks 6 different languages, my ears do tend to pick up mispronunciations, food related or otherwise. Sometimes I laugh (quietly), sometimes I cringe!
To more important matters, I love your paneer. It’s one of the things I love making too BUT I end up giving most of it away as we’re a low dairy household. Your pics are awesome!

110 Meenakshi March 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

LOL! You have a fellow mispronouncer in me, Confessor Kiran! I don’t know what pouilly-fuisse is either. Will Google it now! That is some goodlooking paneer. I always find fresh paneer at my neighbourhood grocer, so have never bothered trying to make my own. And those lemons…how I wish we could get such big, beautiful ones easily in Mumbai. I only get small nimbus.
Meenakshi recently posted..Motherhood Mondays: My child SCREALS. Does yours?

111 Lucy March 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Think I will have to give this a try. I usually use shop bought paneer but it can sometimes be very rubbery :(

Never even considered making my own!

Thanks for sharing this! ;)
Lucy recently posted..Tender Writing Experts

112 beena March 20, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Hey i guess i had to come across this post of urs that too today when i learnt how Mr J is completely meaningless in the word jalepeno… haha…thanks for this lovely post… i had always seen my mom do this daunting task at home but had never ever bothered much to check how it happens…yours pictureque post just makes it interesting to implement the task of making paneer at home…it doesnt look daunting as it will be made for my lil jaan my 2 year old :) he simply relishes paneer! do visit my blog… enjoy!!

{ 3 trackbacks }