Since February 14th is approaching fast as well, my suggestion is to make this salad. Not only its very color appropriate — it’s extremely tasty, fresh and simple to make.
So long you promise not to jut out your tongue after eating it
Anyways, I have another complain — ok, I am a complain pot but I can’t help it.
There’s an epidemic in the supermarkets. I hate it whenever the produce display is always so wet. There’s water sprinkler everywhere!! Am I wrong to believe that spraying water would make it more susceptible to rot? It’s ok to keep it a little moist, but why soak it?
But it never hurts to ask! I needed some fresh and dry bunch of beets (not soaked in water madness!) and thank god they had some in a box, un-assembled. I can still recall that guys’ facial expression. He did asked why I demanded for such request. And I told him about my aversions to wet produce.
Some people hate veggies — well, I hate veggies that are soaked in puddles! Win-win, eh?
Inspired by – Vegetarian Bible, from the earth to the table
- 3 – 4 medium beets
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 345F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- If using fresh beets, carefully remove roots & stalk from beets without cutting into the skin.
- Gently rub beets under cold running water without splitting skins, to remove any dirt.
- Pat dry beets with paper towels. Place on the foil and gently coat beets with 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Wrap foil to cover beets completely and roast between 30 – 45 minutes (depending on the size of beets).
- In a bowl, add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and coarse sea salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Remove beets from oven to cool enough to handle, then peel away the skins.
- Chop beets to bite size and add it in the dressing bowl to coat.
- Cover to chill for at least an hour before devouring
I am off to sulk at wet produce, and hopefully there would be better resort to preserving vegetables than dumping boat-load of water on it!!! Ewww!!!
What are your plans for February? I am sure its more exciting than my complains