I was skyping with mom today, happily announcing my intentions to bake jammie dodgers. Growing up, these were one of my favorite cookies I love baking with mom during the holidays.The fact that I don’t own proper cookie cutters is seemingly outrageous and down-right wrong.
I need to remedy this, SOON!
For now, the solution would be to make-do with what I have, instead. Starry shaped cookies without a cut-out hole in between to reveal the jam. One of many sad stories of my life – le sigh.
Please oh please use a small center cookie cut-out . Don’t be like me. I tend to go for the simplest route.
And that is making-do. Don’t settle, people.
Perfect example would be my friend at Pease Pudding, who made delicious Christmas Jammie Dodgers — i applaud her choice of cookie cutters.
What are Jammie Dodgers?
Shortbread or butter cookies, sandwiched with jam.
In other words: DELICIOUSNESS!
- 1 cup toasted buckwheat groats*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (or 2 sticks) of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp spices (a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
- Preference of jam
- Powdered sugar aka pixie’s dust 😉
- Grind toasted and cooled buckwheat groats into fine flour. If you have buckwheat flour, that’s perfect.
- In a stand mixer, add butter and sugar. Cream till it turns pale yellow, gradually adding one egg, vanilla extract, spice mix.
- While mixer is on low, add buckwheat & whole wheat flour. Mix until combined and forms a soft, slightly crumbly dough.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Scrape dough onto wax paper and form a flatten disc. Add another wax paper on top of the disc to prevent sticking.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using your favorite cookie cutter. Place cookie cut outs on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove baked cookies on a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Dot some of your favorite (i used cranberry) jam in between 2 pieces of cookies and gently press to seal.
- Just before serving, sprinkle on some pixie’s dust!
*Note: Toasted buckwheat groats are nutty in flavor, light and crispy in texture. If you can’t find buckwheat, almond flour is the next best choice.
Have a Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas & a very Happy Holidays 🙂
Have you sampled jammie dodgers before? What were your favorite cookie, growing up?