Home-made Pumpkin Spiced Chai

by Kiran on January 20, 2011 · 17 comments

in Beverages, Teas

Confession: I love Pumpkin. And I am totally in love with Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. But let’s face it, it’s way expensive and being a seasonal beverage, less accessible. So, I tried to recreate something similar at home and it was a success! So long you hoard on Libby’s Pumpkin supply to last you till the pumpkin season arrives again ;)

Let’s start by brewing some tea.

I used some loose tea leaves for brewing. You can also use teabags, but I find loose tea holds up fresh flavors.

I used two different brands of loose tea leaves for best of both worlds: flavors & depth ;) This makes one cup of chai, so 1 & 1/2 tsp of tea leaves into simmering water. Let it steep for 5  minutes. Don’t boil. You wouldn’t want to end up with bitter tea. Trust me, it ain’t worth it. I meant, the bitterness.

After 5 minutes of tea steeping, add 1 tsp of pumpkin puree. Stir to combine.

Did you noticed how cold and dark these 3 photos turned out to be? My kitchen is without natural lighting! No windows. A photographer’s nightmare. Le sigh. Anyways.. back to the tea.

Resulting combination of tea & pumpkin puree –  a dark, almost amber like concoction.

Now, throw in a pinch or two of your favorite spice. Pumpkin spice would work wonders over here. I made my home-made spice blend that consists of cinnamon bark, nutmeg, cardamom seeds and cloves, all blended in a spice grinder. If you have mortar and pestle, go ahead and work that biceps.

For a little sweetness, add 1 tsp of local honey. I love to spike mine with less sugar. Instead, add more milk to balance out the strong flavors.

Now comes the best part. Milk. And creating the foam, mmmm.. to achieve the latte effect ;)

Introducing.. my handy, dandy Magic Bullet blender. This was a house-warming gift and perfect size for the two of us ;) If you don’t own one of these babies, any blender would work.

Depending on how much milk you prefer in your chai, add cold milk and whip away till concoction comes out frothy and foamy. YUM :D

Stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds just to take some of the chill off. DO NOT BLEND HOT MILK. I REPEAT, DO NOT EVER BLEND HOT MILK. It’s very unsafe. Start cold, and once it foams, warm it up in the microwave.

Gently, add the frothy/foamy milk into a cup of hot tea. Go very slow as you don’t want to break up the foam.

Top the foam with a few drops of tea and there you have it. A delicious hot cuppa latte to soothe any soul. Save yourself and $$$ by making this today. Of course, I have nothing against Starbucks :)

Cheers!

What’s your favorite go-to winter beverages? Is it always Starbucks? Feel free to link your recipes :)

__________________________________________

p/s: This recipe is eye-balled because not everyone likes a watery latte or a creamy latte, or a too sweet latte, or a strong latte. Get it? Coz I could go on and on with different permutation and combination’s ;)

Enjoyed this recipe? Join others and get free email updates!

1 Divya Vikram January 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Amazing! Love the first tea pic!

2 Kiran January 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Divya,
Thanks for the comment dear :)

3 Edgar January 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

That tea is the best, with or without the pumpkin. That one from the picture looks tantalizing !!! Enjoy : )

4 Kiran January 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Edgar,
Appreciate your visit to Recipebox and commenting.
You are right about with or without the use of pumpkin. A latte/chai is as delicious without adding different seasonal flavors.

5 Jackie (Phamfatale.com) January 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Lovely! I’ve made a similar drink adding an espresso shot. I have to try your version with masala chai; it sounds delicious!
Jackie (Phamfatale.com) recently posted..Vegetarian Wonton Soup Recipe

6 Kiran February 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Jackie,
Espresso!! Wow, pretty strong! Try the masala chai version for when you want something light and flavorful :)

7 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Hi there! Came over here from your comment- thank you for that!

Yes, whenever I think I have an original thought (like making foam in a blender because everything else is broken), turns out someone beat me to it haha. You posted this on my birthday ironically! I love that little blender of mine and use it every single day.

Question about your tea: do you leave the loose tea in the water or strain it out (sorry if that’s dumb)? Then you add the pumpkin and it dissolves completely? I LOVE chai tea and I might even brew some up today because you’ve inspired me!
Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) recently posted..Be your own barista: Making milk foam

8 Kiran September 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Deb,
Welcome to Recipebox and thanks for the compliments :)
I would advise not to leave the tea leaves too long. After steeping, stir in pumpkin puree and strain it out so that the tea doesn’t taste bitter. The puree does get dissolved almost completely. Suggest adding it before straining the tea leaves. Let me know how it tastes :)

9 Becky Cooper (@fabbecky) October 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I am heading into my kitchen to make this right now! It sounds too good to pass up on a cold any rainy night.
Becky Cooper (@fabbecky) recently posted..Food Issues

10 Kiran October 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Becky,
Welcome to Recipebox and thanks so much for commenting. Hope you enjoyed the home-made pumpkin spiced chai. How did it tastes? :)

11 Becky Cooper (@fabbecky) October 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM

It was wonderful and the perfect relaxing compliment to my bubble bath. So good in fact I made it again the next morning!
Becky Cooper (@fabbecky) recently posted..Why Can’t You?

12 Kiran October 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Becky,
I am so glad you loved my home-made pumpkin spiced chai :)

13 Ananya Kiran June 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I am very fond of drinking TEA, thanks for this recipe :)
Will try it now ..
Ananya Kiran recently posted..Nalini Keshava’s Journey- 4. The Unconditional Love

14 Kiran June 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Ananya — you are welcome. enjoy!

{ 3 trackbacks }