I have a list of staple items that are “must-haves” in my refrigerator. Since our current living location is a little too far away for daily groceries, we sort out the problem by going for groceries every forth nightly.
1) Soy Milk – a great and healthier milk substitute and I would higly recommend for any one with lactose intolerance. I would recommend the Silk brand and it comes in variety of flavors; vanilla, chocolate, original. You can surely substitute any other brand if you can’t find Silk. Just make sure it is all natural.
2) Yogurt – my favorite by far would be Dannon, All Natural Non Fat.
3) Roma tomatoes
8) Asian vegetables & condiments such as bok choy, tofu etc
9) Asian sauces
10) Chicken/Vege Broth
11) Cilantro/Any other herb
12) Curry leaves are a must for Indian curries
13) Citrus: Oranges, lemon and lime
14) Others: Mushroom, corn on the cob, cheese, jelly (our favorites are: orange marmalade & apple),
And not to forget my closely watched cravings and must haves: CHOCOLATES!
Call me crazy, but I’m in love with chocolates! It’s a food staple for my ‘now and then’ cravings.
As for my freezer must haves: Assortments of frozen vege patties (for snacking on burgers), fish, chicken, paneer, and definitely ICE-CREAM! The 3rd love of my life 🙂
Tips of the day:
a) Try substituting regular milk with Soy milk and have it with your favorite cup of tea… Deliciousness!
b) To preserve the shelf life of your herbs (i.e Cilantro, Rosemary, Mint, etc), clean and dry after purchase. Ensure all the liquids are evaporated. Fill a glass with some water, and keep your herbs in it, fresh and available in the refrigerator. See the example in the photo above.